There is so much to do in Galena and the surrounding areas. I regret not allowing myself enough time to really explore but that only means I absolutely have to return. It's not too shabby of a vacation spot either, what with the beautiful scenery and historic charm. As I get ready to wrap up this series, I can't help but reflect on what I did enjoy and highlight some of my personal recommendations. Let me know if you have any to add in the comments below!
- The wineries and breweries are a must. I did have the chance to visit the tasting room of Massbach Ridge Winery in downtown Galena but you have got to make it out to the actual wineries and vineyards for a proper tour and tasting. If you're into craft beer and spirits, the breweries are a must as well.
- Historical tours and mansions are another site you must make time to see as long as that kind of thing doesn't bore you. I find wandering through old mansions fascinating. There's nothing like a step back in the past! Galena also has several themed tours. One that I especially want to try next time I visit is the ghost tour. With such a rich history and the lead mining, there's bound to be one or two intense ghost stories involved.
- Get outside! Galena has all kinds of outdoor activities available. Hit the trails, go canoeing down the river (Galena or Mississippi), ski, zip line. Do something you normally wouldn't think about doing. The more I travel, the more I really want to go on hiking trails. One day my annoying fear of bugs won't hold me back. I'm working on it...
- Try as much food as possible. Because, why not? You're on vacation. You're getting away. Whatever you're doing, enjoy the culinary scene. There are so many tasty options and you do not want to go home only to tell your friends that you didn't have anything good to eat. How boring is that?
- Have an idea of what you want to do but don't have a hard itinerary. Having an idea of what you want to do and what you want to see is great because you won't waste time trying to figure that out. On the flip side, having too strict of a schedule can get in the way of actually enjoying the trip and all the experience has to offer.
- Get out of town. Downtown Galena is gorgeous but there is so much more the city has to offer. Nature is at its finest in this beautiful area. Take it in as much as you can.
- Get out of the car. Driving around downtown can be a hot mess. Find a parking spot and walk around. You're more likely to find hidden gems this way too. You miss so much while you're in the car. Avoid that, put on a good pair of walking shoes and just roam around.
- Go during the week. Galena on the weekends can be insanely crowded. If you can manage, try going for a trip during the week. The streets are much less busy and you'll be able to enjoy everything without the chaos.