For some reason, whether you have kids or not the end of summer is a crazy time. Everything all seems like it's happening at once and before you know it, you're exhausted and ready for a hundred year sleep. An easy way to keep that energy up is by making sure you eat. This Pear & Prosciutto Flatbread was inspired by a few of my favorite things: prosciutto, seasonal produce and pizza. I wanted something lighter, without a high calorie count that I could also eat as a snack for the rest of the week. This Flatbread is not a traditional Flatbread because the edges have a thicker crust but if you use a different dough, have better luck with yours or just use a different pan, it would definitely be a flatbread.
- 1 Pear, sliced Thin
- 4 ounces Prosciutto, chopped
- 4 ounces Gruyere Cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 package Thin-Crust Pizza Dough
A few tips:
1. I bought already chopped prosciutto at the store instead of the long strips. It cuts the work in half. All you have to do is roll out the dough and slice the pears. Super easy!
2. If you want a little extra tang, spread a little balsamic vinegar over the dough before laying down the first layer of cheese.
3. Gorgonzola cheese would be a nice substitute for the Gruyere or a tangy Asiago. That was the backup cheese if I couldn't find Gruyere in the store.
Enjoy! Let me know what you think.