If you ask us, every day should be International Coffee Day. As coffee addicts, the fact that this is not a National Holiday but an International Holiday, is telling. For many people, coffee is the start to their day, the middle and oftentimes the end with a little sweet treat alongside. Coffee is at the center of many cultures from warming drinks like a boozy Irish Coffee to strong bursts of energy like a shot of espresso at a bistro in Paris. Best of all, it's delicious. Celebrate International Coffee Day with us! We've got a steal for you below as well as a giveaway and where to stop in Chicago for some java deals!
The Lattes, Life & Luggage team loves our coffee. Check out how we like to sip the caffeinated brew below:
* Christine: Nothing beats a traditional cappuccino or straight shot of espresso. However, I do love getting some flavored varieties for a treat once in a while like the PSL or my personal favorite, the Peppermint Mocha.
* Stephanie: I love Salvadorian coffee! One of my aunts lives in El Salvador and she sends me a blend of coffee beans from farmers nearby. I boil waiter with a bit of cinnamon (I use cinnamon sticks) and add a bit of sugar and cream.
* Sydney: My favor ite kind of coffee is caramel iced coffee from Dunkin!
Booze It Up With Tullamore D.E.W.'s Irish Coffee
Celebrate after work (or during...we won't tell) with a boozy cup of java. We cannot get enough of Tullamore D.E.W.'s Irish Coffee recipe.
1.5 ounces Tullamore D.E.W.
1 ounce Brown Sugar
Hot Brewed Coffee
Unsweetened Cream, lightly whipped
A few fun facts about coffee:
1. Coffee can help prevent the risk of developing diabetes. According to WebMD "three compounds found in coffee seem to block the toxic accumulation process linked with the increase of diabetes."
2. It only takes 10 minutes for the caffeine in a coffee to kick in
3. Coffee can help you lose weight by burning fat
4. One cup of coffee is packed with antioxidants and nutrients
5. Coffee can help prevent Alzheimer's and dementia
WHERE TO CELEBRATE INTERNATIONAL COFFEE DAY IN CHICAGO
Baker & Nosh (1303 West Wilson Avenue in Chicago) will be offering their gourmet La Colombe coffee for just $1, all day long (7am-7pm). The offer only applies to their 12oz, hot and iced coffees. Limit one per person. Make sure you grab one of their delicious treats as well to go along with their coffee and support the local business.
Bohemian House (11 West Illinois, Chicago IL) is partnering with Dark Matter Coffee for a cocktail concoction in honor of Coffee Day! The new drink, Double Buzz, features slivovitz, Dark Matter Coffee and warm whole milk, topped with whipped cream, sweet paprika and smoked sea salt. It's spicy, sweet and salty all-in-one. If you can't get enough, stop in this weekend on Saturday, October 1st, for the Music & Mimosa Brunch. The event will host local musician, Liz Chidester for a live acoustic performance from 11:30am to 1:30pm as well as a Build-Your-Own Mimosa Bar. It doesn't get better than that!
Teacher Peach!, a one stop shop for classroom supplies and teacher gifts, is helping you save money. Get $5 off any order of $10 or more with the code COFFEE5OFF valid today through October 1st ONLY! What's even better? We've got a bit of a giveaway for you too!