Tips To Drink More Water
Did you know you're supposed to drink half your body weight in ounces of water each day. Our bodies are largely made up of the clear stuff so it would only make sense that we need to replenish it regularly. I know. It's plain. It's bland. It has no taste. You want something more exciting. Fair enough. I myself am quite terrible at drinking enough water each day. It's something I'm constantly trying to work on. I'm sure many of you out there are just like me too so I felt it was high time to share a few tips to drink more water.
1. Give it a little pizazz. Add fruits and herbs to naturally flavor your water without all those unnecessary sugars. Play with the combinations as well. There are even affordable water bottles that have infusers built in so that you can take your tasty water with you on the go.
2. Give yourself a reward. Divide the amount of ounces you need to drink by four. Every time you reach a quarter of your drinking goal, give yourself a reward. Maybe you get to take a walk, maybe you get a piece of chocolate. And I really mean a piece, not a whole Hershey Bar. Positive reinforcement is one of the easiest ways to create a habit. Soon you'll be drinking more water without even needed that reward.
3. Splurge. I drink much more water when I buy the giant Fiji or Smart Water bottles. I'm sure it's all mental but if I have one of those enormous bottles in front of me, it ends up disappearing really quick. If you know that you're more likely to drink water if it's from a specific brand or size of water bottle, why not just go for it?
4. For every non-water liquid that you drink, drink twice the amount of water. This is my way of avoiding too much coffee and not enough water. Before I'm allowed to have another cup of coffee, I have to drink at least twice as much water. If you're a coffee addict like me or maybe a tea or soda addict, this will help you keep that balance but it's all about self-control and holding yourself accountable.
5. Create a habit tracker. There are tons of apps that will do this for you or you can create your own. For every few days that you hit your water goal, give yourself a nice reward (larger than the one in #2). Something more than just a piece of chocolate. More like, a glass or two of wine or getting off work an hour early (easier if you're self-employed but still an option nonetheless).
So tell me, do you drink water like a fish or are you constantly trying to get more in? Do you have any helpful tips to share?